Login

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Research grants: AfWASA provides financial support to African water and sanitation students

Tuesday, 20 February 2024
Read 5195 times

As part of its Capacity-Building Program for African stakeholders in the water, sanitation, and hygiene sector AfWASA Capacity Building Program (AfriCap), funded by USAID, the African Water and Sanitation Association is awarding research scholarships to African Young Water and Sanitation Professionals. Target beneficiaries are master students and engineers at their final year training program. Each scholarship, with a maximum value of USD1,000 (one thousand), will make it possible to carry out a research work sanctioned by a scientific report on a theme related to the WASH sector.

During the 2016-2017, 2017-2018, and 2018-2019 academic years, AfWASA awarded sixty (60) scholarships to students from eleven (11) countries in West and Central Africa. Other scholarships will be awarded across Africa for a period of three years (2021-2024). For the 2021-2022 academic year, fifteen (15) scholarships were awarded to students from 13 countries. For the academic year 2022-2023, other twenty (20) scholarships from 16 countries and, among the selected fellows 15 were given by USAID as the usual Africap grants and 5 were given to young women by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation through SAO CWIS to close the gender gap in WASH research. For the final academic year (2023-2024), 15 scholarships will be awarded to students across Africa.

Application process

Candidates for the scholarship program will formulate their research topics in relation to one of the themes proposed in this call for applications. To apply, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:

  • Be a citizen of a sub-Saharan African country eligible for USAID funding.

  • be in good standing academically with respect to their institution.

  • Submit an application file including:

    1. Student card or registration receipt for the current year

    2. Last completed degree

    3. Curriculum vitae (3 pages max)

    4. Three recommendation letters (one should be from the academic supervisor)

    5. Research proposal form to be downloaded here 

During the selection, priority will be given to students and young water professionals who are registered as members of AfWASA.

Submission

Applicants must submit their application online via the link for application https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19aMW5SGELWreMImeBg5Idjls4PceRNjiTAHTQXh4ArM/edit . For any question regarding application or submission, applicants may contact the following addresses: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and copy This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

The list of successful candidates will be published on AfWASA website: www.afwasa.org and each beneficiary will receive an official notification from AfWASA.

 

Submission deadline

Students wishing to participate in the program are requested to submit their full application by April 15, 2024. The list of recipients for the 2023-2024 academic year shall be published by June 15, 2024.

Research themes

The following themes were selected for this scholarship program for the 2023-2024 academic year:

  1. Approaches to reducing Non-Revenue Water in water utilities

  2. Improved Water Quality Control

  3. Water services in low-income urban areas

  4. Improvement of urban and peri-urban sanitation

  5. ICT use (Digitalization) in water and sanitation services

  6. Water resources management

  7. Water, sanitation, and gender.

  8. Circular economy

  9. Climate change

Financial aspect

As part of this scholarship, the maximum amount allocated per recipient is US $ 1,000. Sixty percent (60%) of this amount will be paid to the recipient once the detailed plan of the research project is finalized, approved by the research supervisor, and received by AfWASA Research Program Coordinator. The remaining forty percent (40%) shall be paid once the recipient submits the electronic version of their final research report.

Reporting conditions

Students receiving the AfWASA grant will be required to regularly prepare and submit a monthly report on the status of their work and a final report at the end of the project.

Search